22 July, 2013

Witchy Book Recommendations

Hey, Readers,

People are always asking me what books I recommend on witchy topics, whether it be Magick, Paganism in general, Wicca, or something more specific. I've been typing out new messages to all of these people for years, and saying I will create a list somewhere for those same years. Without any further adieu, here is that list of things I recommend, somewhat annotated if I feel some explanation or plugging is necessary. I will add onto this list over the years as I find more books that I like. Enjoy!


Authors I Love
  • Scott Cunningham
    • Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner
    • Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner
    • Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magic
    • Earth, Air, Fire & Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic
    • Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs
    • Magical Aromatherapy
    • Spell Crafts: Creating Magical Objects (with David Harrington)
    • and many more he's written, alone or with Harrington and others, on other subjects!
  • Starhawk
    • The Spiral Dance: A Rebirth of the Ancient Religion of the Great Goddess
    • Circle Round: Raising Children in Goddess Traditions (with other authors)
    • The Twelve Wild Swans (with Hilary Valentine) (Advanced training book, the sequel to The Spiral Dance, and goes through sort of "Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced" sections.)
    • and more which I haven't read yet, so I can't personally recommend, but that I want to read! On the list for me to check out next: The Earth Path: Grounding Your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature, and The Pagan Book of Living and Dying.
Other authors you should check out:
Janet and Stewart Farrar, Doreen Valiente, Raymond Buckland, Gerina Dunwich, Gerald Gardner, Silver Ravenwolf, Ronald Hutton, Margaret Murray, D.J. Conway, Richard Webster, Raven Grimassi, etc.

Paganism, General
  • PAGANISM: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions - Joyce and River Higginbotham (A look at those things that, from their research and experience, unite all Pagans.)
  • The Everything Paganism Book - Selene Silverwind (Basics about major paths, useful for comparing one to another in a basic way.)
  • The Way of the Horned God: A Young Man's Guide to Modern Paganism - Dancing Rabbit (Author is an online friend of mine--watch my review of the book here.)
  • Drawing Down the Moon - Margot Adler (History)
  • Modern Pagans: An Investigation of Contemporary Pagan Practices - RE/SEARCH, interviews by V. Vale and John Sulak (I learned so much from these interviews! Truly a great read!)
Wicca
  • Encyclopedia of Wicca and Witchcraft - Raven Grimassi
  • Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner - Scott Cunningham
  • Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner - Scott Cunningham
Magick
  • Write Your Own Magic - Richard Webster
  • The Goodly Spellbook - Lady Passion and *Diuvei, Coven Oldenwilde
Shadow Magick
  • In the Shadow of 13 Moons - Kimberly Sherman-Cook
Shamanism, etc.
  • Totem Magic - Yasmine Galenorn
  • By Oak, Ash, & Thorn - D.J. Conway (Also talks about Shadow)
  • By Land, Sky, & Sea: Three Realms of Shamanic Witchcraft - Gede Parma (Purchased and read in August 2013, so this is a recent find for me!)

List of 27 must-read books on paganism, from Huffington Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/pagan-books-27-essential-_n_1556931.html


Fiction with Pagan Themes
  • Priestess of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley & Diana L. Paxson (Historical fiction)
  • The Killian Star - Alyson Denny (Personal friend of mine, and upon recently catching up with her at my new job, she tells me that she has multiple books now and this one has been rewritten since I read it!)
  • The Cassie Rivers Adventures (series) - Christin Keck (You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wonder if Christin knows the same people you do, but mostly you'll LAUGH.)
    • Book One: The Goddess Loves Your Shoes
    • Book Two: Altared States
    • Book Three: Infantasia
    • Book Four: Mini-Apple-Loss (Released May 2014. I just finished it in Nov. 2014, and an interview will be forthcoming!)

Blessings~
-C-

3 comments:

  1. I have some of these you mentioned. Also, some of Starhawk's books are available on audio through iTunes, as is Cunningham's first one. I have all these on my iPod as well. It can be easier to listen sometimes than to read. It just depends on the individual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the list/recommendations! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another good one is "Wicca for Beginners: Fundamentals of Philosophy and Practice" by Thea Sabin. It gives details and exercises for many principles of Wicca without an emphasis on magic.

    ReplyDelete